Apply to volunteer
Do you have what it takes to be a North Shore Emergency Management Volunteer?
Review the team descriptions here! Then, work your way through the requirements and the sign-up process below:
All volunteers (GSU, EEI, ECT, ESS, and EMT) must:
- Be at least 16 years of age (parental/guardian consent required for applicants under 18)
- Pass and maintain a Criminal Record Check
- Undergo a probationary period with NSEM, and commit to at least 2 years of service
- Undergo all required training within the first 2 years of volunteering
- Have an active email account and (preferably) cell phone
- Maintain equipment, including a personal Grab & Go bag
Volunteer placement in the different teams and programs is based on our organizational or project needs as well as your motivations, skills, and interests.
- Submit a Volunteer Application to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Volunteer Coordinator
- Arrange & attend an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator, where you will show them your Grab and Go bag, fill in remaining paperwork and will have your photo taken for your Public Safety Lifeline Volunteer identification
- Complete a Criminal Record Check (cost covered by NSEM)
- Undergo a Reference Check
- Complete a Volunteer Disclosure, Photo Release, and EMBC Registration forms
- Have equipment issued to you, based on the team(s) that you are selected for
- Receive a briefing on upcoming training and meetings
Probation & Ongoing Training
- Attend our two emergency preparedness workshops
- Attend various Training Sessions, including Emergency Support Services, Emergency Management, Psychosocial First Aid, and other courses
- Participate in response call-outs, special projects, meetings, exercises, training, etc.