- Know the risks
Earthquake | Tsunami | Wildlife | Avalanche | Lightning | Other natural disasters | Technology and industrial accidents | Pandemics
- Get prepared
At home | At school | At work | In your car | Preparing your business | Workshops, events, presentations | Sign up for emergency notifications
- During an emergency
Communication during emergencies | Evacuating your home | Sheltering in place | Disaster response routes | Real-time emergency updates | The emergency operations centre (EOC)
- After an emergency
What to do after an emergency | After a flood | After an earthquake
- Volunteer to help
Volunteer roles and responsibilities | Apply to volunteer
How to create a household emergency plan
What would you do if there was a disaster or other emergency while you were at work and your children were at school? How would you communicate to make sure everyone was safe and get your family back together?
Having an emergency plan — and making sure everyone in your family is familiar with it — can help save valuable time during an emergency, and make the situation less stressful for everyone.
Quick tips for creating your plan
Your emergency plan should include details about:
- meeting places for your family and loved ones to reunite, one close to your home and another outside your community
- names and contact information for your neighbours
- names and contact information for out-of-town contacts
- family health details (medication names, Care Card numbers, doctor contact information
- names of people assigned to pick up children, family members who require assistance, or pets, in case you're not able to
- the location of your emergency kit and grab-and-go bags
Make sure you review the plan with every member of your family, and update it annually.
Take a closer look
Ready to start creating your family emergency plan? Use these resources to get started.
Print out these checklists, forms, and guides
- Government of Canada's emergency preparedness guide
- PreparedBC's household emergency plan guide
- Out-of-area contact cards